For as long as I can remember we have had Owl Cookies every fall/ Halloween. My grandma has been diligently making these tasty treats for my brother and me, and then later on my cousin, year after year.
I love these cookies because they aren't too sweet and the saltiness of the cashew really adds something. Plus they are just so fun and cute!
My mom flew down last weekend to help us celebrate Casey's graduation (separate post on that to follow) and lo and behold my grandma had sent the frozen dough for owl cookies with my mom in her suitcase. Because my grandma is so awesome she also sent chocolate chips for eyes and cashews for noses. Love it! Several years ago my grandma copied the recipe for me and I'm a grown up now who is perfectly capable of baking my own fall goodies, but I love that she made them for me. When grandmas make something they just taste better, right? I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this...
Alright, enough of my wonderful fall memories, here's the recipe:
"Hoot Owl Cookies"
Sift together 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Cream together 3/4 cup butter. Gradually add 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar, creaming well.
Add 1 unbeaten egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat well.
Blend in the dry ingredients gradually.
Combine 1 1/2 squares (1 1/2 oz) melted, cooled unsweetened chocolate and 1/4 teaspoon soda.
Remove 2/3 of dough to floured surface. Blend chocolate mixture into remaining dough; chill if desired for easier handling.
Roll our half of light dough to a 10 x 41/4-inch strip. Shape half of dark dough into a roll 10 inches long; place on strip of light dough. Mold sides of light dough around dark; wrap in foil. Repeat with remaining dough. Chill at least 2 hours.
Cut into slices 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick {I like to cut them nice a thick - it makes for a chewier cookie} and place two slices together on a greased baking sheet to resemble an owl. Pinch a corner of each slice to form ears. Place a chocolate chip in the center of each slice for eyes; press a whole cashew nut between slices for a beak.
Bake at 350* for 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from baking sheets immediately. Store cooled cookies between layers of foil in a flat, tightly covered container.
Hope you enjoy these cute little cookies as much as I do!
Yum!
1 comment:
So cute! Thanks for sharing the recipe--I can't wait to try them. I've also never seen anything like them so--Go Grandma!
Hey, is your dining set finished?
Post a Comment