Wednesday, September 21, 2011

{ Three Months }


I started this post back when Lincoln was actually turning three months old.  I figured I'd better come back to finish and post it now that he's almost four months old!


I can't believe it has already been three months since I first heard my baby boy's precious first cry.  Not all the cries since then have been so precious but oh how we love our Baby Lincoln.  He continues to astound and amaze us with of his new tricks and his ever evolving little personality.


He is laughing out loud now which might just be the cutest sound I've ever heard.  He cracks up at funny faces, espcially when you cross your eyes.  He loves it when you talk to him, too.  It doesn't matter what you say, but if your attention is focused on him he just eats it up.  He's starting to babble and try to talk back now too.  I'm sure we'll be having long philosophical discussions any day now ;-)


Play time is getting more and more fun as Lincoln has gotten mobile and is getting better at reaching and grabbing for his toys.  He can roll belly-to-back and back-to-belly and doesn't hesitate to use these new found skills to pursue his toys.  I like to put a little toy next to him when he's on his tummy and watch him try to figure out how to get it - sometimes he figures it out and rolls over to get it, other times he just gets frustrated and cries until Mama rescues him.


Bath time is getting to be more fun, too. Lincoln likes to check out the handsome baby in the mirror and try to get him wet with lots of splashing.  He usually succeeds.


Lincoln found his feet a few weeks ago and they just might be his new favorite toy.  He loves to hold onto his feet and toes - especially when he's being changed.  I think this is quite a helpful new skill/hobby.  The funny thing about this, though, is that if he is wearning footie jammies he seems to forget that his feet are there.  But once you take his legs and feet out of the jammies he happily reaches for his long lost toes.


Quite by accident we discovered a fun new game I like to call 'Tick Tock'.  I hold Lincoln at arms length in front of me and swing him side to side like a pendulum.   He lights up and gives me a big gummy grin every time.


When he turned 12 weeks old we decided it was time to start putting Lincoln to bed in his crib in his own room.  I knew it would be harder for me than it would be for him, but with my return to work looming in the very near future I knew it was best for all of us.  Plus I knew if I didn't bite the bullet and just do it I would have a teenager curling up in the bassinet next to our bed someday ;-)  Luckily the transition went well and he sleeps great in his crib!  I sleep better too which is of course a plus.


Nursing is still going great. There have been a few minor hiccups along the road (I don't reccommend getting a milk blister. Ever.), but breasfeeding is one of my favorite times with him. I'm really going to miss that during the day when I go back to work but I know it will be so nice to be able to come home and have that special time with him. Call me crazy but I'm actually looking forward to those middle of the night feeds when I sit in the rocking chair in his room, hold him close, and fill up his belly so that he can get back to sleep and dream about whatever it is 3 month olds dream about. (Milk? Toys? Boobs? Who knows...)


A few more random thoughts about this month that I don't want to forget:

We joke that we'll never know when Lincoln is teething because he is such a drooly and fussy boy. If he was more mobile he would leave a little trail of drool behind him (think Slimer from Ghost Busters).

His little fingernails grow so fast - I have to cut them at least once a week - but his little toenails grow so slowly. I have only had to cut them once so far - once! Babies are weird.


But they are oh so wonderful.

We love Lincoln more than we could ever have imagined. We can't wait to watch him learn and grow and change into a big boy but simultaneously we want time to stop so he'll stay little forever. Since we obviously can't do that we're trying to savor each day and soak up all of his adorable baby-ness while we can. He is just the best thing ever.

No comments: