Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mayhem, mayhem!

In the spirit of being productive on my day off and you know, providing good and healthy food for our little family of two, I went to the grocery store today. I figured on a Wednesday at 11am it wouldn’t be very crowded and I could be in and out in no time. Oh how wrong I was…

Unbeknownst to me, (wow I don’t think I’ve ever written out unbeknownst before, it looks funny but spellcheck says it’s right) …anyway Wednesday is Senior Day at Fry’s – 10% off for senior citizens. In most parts of the country this would just mean a few extra Hover-rounds cruising the aisles, but here in Scottsdale, the mecca for retirees, it meant absolute chaos. First of all, in navigating the aisles to collect my items I had to weave my way around canes and wheelchairs, which for the record, is not easy to do with a full cart.

Once I finally had everything from my list I had to check out. Now, for those of you that don’t already know, I am a horrible line-picker. Just ask anyone who’s ever been to the airport or any store with me. No matter what I wind up behind the family with three strollers, two laptops and a case of bottled water or the guy with 39 coupons who questions every single item the cashier rings up. Today was no exception. It took me twenty, yes TWENTY minutes to get checked out. And of course I wound up behind the guy with the coupons who wanted paper, not plastic, who couldn’t find his Fry’s card. Oh joy. But, hey, at least I wasn't in a hurry and managed to keep myself entertained by reading the trashy magazine headlines. Gotta love those silver linings :-)


*Note: for the record I actually really love older people a lot and think they are awesome - I just don't want to grocery shop with them!

No comments: