You know how when you ask a little kid how old they are, if it’s more than a few months after their birthday they’ll always add “…and a HALF” to their age. “I’m eight and a HALF.” They are telling you that those six months are so important, that they have gained wisdom and experience far beyond their mere eight years. Oh what an ignorant child they were at the pitiful age of eight, but the insight that additional half year has granted them is beyond measure.
I took care of a patient this week who is dying. I was talking with this man’s wife shortly after he was transferred to my unit and I casually asked how long they had been married. She replied “Fifty-five and a half years.” It really struck me that she added “and a half.” I’m sure they’ve been through it all in those fifty-five years. She could have answered with a nice round number and that would have been a sufficient answer to express their lifelong partnership. But she didn’t. She chose to include that extra half a year, those precious six months that she has gotten to spend with her mate. She has gained insight and wisdom and had an extra one hundred and eighty some odd days to spend with her husband beyond a mere 55 years.
And a half. How profound those three little words were to me. Thank you Mrs. _________ for helping me to remember how important each day with a loved one is and to celebrate the pebbles that come between the milestones.
No comments:
Post a Comment