Monday, November 30, 2009

Turkey for Two

This year we had a great Thanksgiving celebration with just the two of us. I worked on Thursday so we had our holiday on Friday. We cooked a whole Thanksgiving feast. Casey has done this before but it was a first for me. And it was fun :-)
We made some of the old standbys, but also branched out and tried some new dishes too. It was all so, so delicious. We had turkey (of course), gravy (we finally got to use our gravy boat!), sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce. The new recipes we tried were browned butter mashed potatoes (fantastic), brandied carrots and parsnips (delicious), and apple bacon stuffing (a-mazing).

I also made my first pie ever. I've made countless cookies, cakes, cheesecakes, muffins, and other goodies but never a pie. I'll admit I was a little nervous but it turned out great. Let me rephrase that - it tasted great! It didn't look like this:
It looked like this:
Not magazine-worthy, but not too shabby for my first attempt. I somehow ended up with extra dough for the crust so we made some little mini pumpkin pies, too. You can never have too much dessert!

We had a great Thanksgiving and really enjoyed cooking together. But I think we pretty much used every kitchen item we own. I was thankful for our dishwasher :-)

No comments: