Sunday, November 13, 2011

{ Five Months. Really! }


Wow, it's so hard to believe our baby boy is already 5 months old! I know I say this every month but man oh man does the time just fly by. This time last year we were still wrapping our heads around the idea that we were pregnant and now we have a living breathing adorable baby boy who somehow manages to wriggle deeper and deeper into our hearts every day.


Lincoln is so full of personality.  Since he was little I've said that you never walk into the room and wonder if he is in there.  If he's happy he's laughing and cooing and babbling and if he's not happy he's definitely vocal about that too!  He's a very social little guy and happy to meet new people and faces.  He knows his name now and will (usually) turn toward you when you say it.


Lincoln is also a little giggler.  If you catch him in the right mood and do something funny you are rewarded with adorable little baby giggles.  It's pretty great :-)


He's started reaching for you when he wants you to pick him up.  When he looks at you with those big blue eyes and stretches his arms up there's no choice but to scoop him up.  His cuteness and charisma are just overwhelming and leaving him there just isn't an option.


Link has had a few bites of food.  We're waiting until he's closer to six months to really start solids so that his gut is more mature but he's charmed a few bites out of us here and there.  He just seems SO interested in eating.  Hopefully that means he'll be a good, non-picky lil eater. 


Breastfeeding is still going great; I just love nursing Lincoln.  It is our time to just relax and be close and I wouldn't trade it for the world.  He is getting more and more distracted when eating though and when he gets distracted he tends to bite.  With his two little teeth that has been, um, interesting.  I'm getting better at recognizing when he's not paying attention or losing interest though so it's improving.  Nursing in public had been going great since he was just a few weeks old but recently Lincoln has been on a hooter hider strike.  I think he hates being covered up where he can't see what's going on in the room.  I'm all about breastfeeding in public (I even nursed him as we walked through the corn maze!) but even I won't do it without covering up so we have nursed in the car a lot as well as giving him pumped milk in a bottle.  As long as he eats I'm happy, but it will be a sad day when he stops nursing.


My favorite time to nurse him is in the middle of the night.  It feels like there is no one else in the world while we rock and nurse.  He usually reaches up and strokes my face while he eats.  I like to think he's saying "You're my mom.  I love you and your face." 



He has a new favorite toy - Curious George.  My friend Emily sent it to Lincoln when he was first born and recently Lincoln has developed a certain affinity for him.  I think he likes George's little hands and feet - they are the perfect size and shape for chewing on.  I don't know how long Lincoln will continue to favor George but I can definitely see this being a long-term relationship.




Link is pretty amused by the simple things in life.  He loves boxes, coffee sleeves, drawstrings, leaves, wax paper, and envelopes.  I love watching him explore these everyday items, usually by chewing on them.  Though it can be a challenge to try to keep him from actually eating them.



We've been reading to Lincoln since he was just a few weeks old.  As best I can tell, he loves it.  He can be
a busy busy boy rolling all over and playing but when we lay down to read with him he seems to mellow out and just focus on the book and our voices.  I have always loved to read and I hope that by starting early we are fostering a love of books in him that will stick around for the rest of his life.


Although young, our son has developed musical tastes already.  Since he was just a few weeks old he has absolutely loved "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele.  I had her CD in my car shortly after he was born and we realized that whenever he was upset if we played this song he would immediately stop crying and be happy.  I don't know if it's her voice, the beat, the music, the extra noise, or perhaps some combination but something about that song just resonates with him and he calms right down.  It's just ridiculous how quickly it works.  Within about 15-20 seconds he can go from a full on tantrum to just chilling in his carseat.  That same CD is still in my car and while I actually really like Adele's music I am SO SICK of that song.  But hey, if I have to listen to one song over and over and over and over and over and over and over again at least it's one I used to and may again someday like.


Oh, I almost forgot to mention that Lincoln has started driving.  Boy this kid is growing up fast!  Seems like just a few months ago that we brought him home from the hospital.


Lincoln is just so much fun and such a joy to be around.  Overall he is a pretty easy going kiddo and we are so blessed by him each day.  We love our little buddy more than words can say!

No comments: